Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: UnrealScript tutorials - By Excalibur!

Default UnrealScript tutorials - By Excalibur!

Hey guys, so after a little playing around with unreal I decided to try to add a custom weapon into the engine. Unfortunately the tutorials I have found online were difficult to follow. So with that in mind I am creating a tutorial series of my own.

I hope that this will be helpful for any and all T2G students. Please bare in mind though that I am an artist (and I say that loosely) so there may be a better way to write the scripts.

Anyway, here is the first video covering telhe setup of Notepad++ used for writing scripts, and also setting up the user defined language so that notepad++ can highlight UnrealScript.

Let me know what you think.
    Cheers

Link Fixed
    Last edited by Excalibur; 11-22-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Not sure if this is just me, but when I click the link, it just sends me to my uploads on youtube......

Quote Originally Posted by RFBadFish View Post
    Not sure if this is just me, but when I click the link, it just sends me to my uploads on youtube......
    It did, I was using my phone, and obviously clicked on the wrong link lol.

Sorry, its fixed now ^^

Cheers, That did help

Thanks MattB.

RFBadFish: glad it helped. I will try and get the next part up either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Aweomse work, Excalibur.

Eagerly looking forward to the next installments as Unreal Script is something I need to learn. I've found the tutorials out there attrocious, in all honesty. Kudos on going the Notepad++ route, everyone else seems to use Visual Studio and then compile using that plugin (not keen on that, they're supposed to be scripts - easy, quick, plugin, let game handle compilation).

Ok guys,

Here is the second part of the unreal tutorials. Unfortunately my understanding of the language is limited, but the scripts work so my descriptions of the code may be misleading. It would be a great help if anyone who watches it that knows the individual lines mean if you could let me know so that I can tell everyone else. Thanks.

The scripts I have used in the video are available for download. The link is in the comments box on YouTube.

Good stuff, Excalibur. You've taught a simple coder more in two broad videos than all the other sites he has been reading I seem to have gathered all this syntax/semantics related knowledge without being able to use it, so cheers for putting it in a bit of context.

With regards to simulated functions, they're used for network games. I think it works like this:

In a network game, each player's client has a copy of the actors on the server
    The server should handle a lot of the game logic, but there are things each local client can handle on its own
    Simulated functions can be called on a local client, all other functions are skipped and left to the server to handle

So I guess simulated functions are not really relevant to your tutorials at this time but, as you demonstrated, you do need to update the names of their actors/classes to reflect your other scripts otherwise UDK will throw out errors.

Cheers again!

Thanks for the comment. I will try and get the next video done today, I am out most of the day but should be home about 5.

The next video is going to be creating a very simple mesh in 3ds max (although if you don't have it you could use Blender) and exporting anims into UDK. The visor after that will be importing all the assets into UDK. Video 5 will be scripting the weapon and getting it to work as a default weapon. Hope you enjoy the rest of the series.

As for the simulated function I will give your comment a mention at the beginning of the next vid. I will just read it out if that's ok with you. Thanks for the info.

And thanks for the sticky, whoever I have to thank.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    And thanks for the sticky, whoever I have to thank.
    Your welcome.