Thread: Anyone good with the biped skinning/rigging?? Got a problem here.

Default Anyone good with the biped skinning/rigging?? Got a problem here.

In a nut shell my models thumbs verts won't move with my model.
    Untitled-1.jpg
    I'll move the arms but the thumbs stay put.
    Untitled-2.jpg
    This must be because they are linked to the root (blue crosses).

When I link them to the bone the verts move very far out of position so the the thumbs look huge and swollen but they will then move with the rest of the hand/arm as they should.
    Untitled-3.jpg
    Then I readjust the evelopes to the thumb back to its original shape but then it stops moving with the rest of the hand/arm.

So no matter what I try my choice is to have giant moving thumbs or correctly sized thumbs which never move position?? If anyone knows a way round this I'd be very greatful.

Is this not to do with the weight? or the effect/the points have on the mesh, just play around with them while it is out of position and it will soon get pulled in.

Joined Train2game on 15th December 2009 and started the Art and Animation course on the 15th April 2010.

Cheers I'll have another read about it and see if it helps. Never did like a weights bit but it's got to be learnt lol.

Does the same thing happen when using the skin modifier instead of the physique modifier?

Quote Originally Posted by Benji Dude View Post
    Does the same thing happen when using the skin modifier instead of the physique modifier?
    Haven't tried with the skin mod yet.
    Just noticed some thing today. When I select the thumb verts they are blue. When I assign them to the link they turn red like I wanted. But when I use the envelope to sort the shape out they turn blue again all on their own??? Rico I must be rubbish with that weight thing because its barely making any difference. Yet more reading I think. Cheers every one. If you have any new ideas let me know

I've also just noticed (can't believe i've only just noticed), that when adjusting the envelopes for the thumbs they don't select any verts?? Wonder how I did that?

EDIT- Never mind. I just binned then reapplied the mod and the thumb works fine now?? Don't know how I messed up the first run but it would be quicker for me to just start again. Cheers for all you help and ideas so far.
    Last edited by Tech; 05-13-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Hey Tech,
    You have both asked and answered the question, simply repetition is key in the unsure stages.
    You voiced your problems with the solution so here's a simple solution, Softimage (if you know how to use it) has a key feature you need to solve the problem, it's the best autodesk software for animation.
    Keep in mind that what one software package isn't so straight forward, there is another one for it.
    A program called Poser helps me with a load of issues I have and will not stop having but for every problem a solution is there, remember that the biped is an automated Ik/Fk rig very much more simple than a manually created rig.
    Start looking for advanced model rigs and go backwards from it. You will maybe laugh at the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Hey Tech,
    You have both asked and answered the question, simply repetition is key in the unsure stages.
    You voiced your problems with the solution so here's a simple solution, Softimage (if you know how to use it) has a key feature you need to solve the problem, it's the best autodesk software for animation.
    Keep in mind that what one software package isn't so straight forward, there is another one for it.
    A program called Poser helps me with a load of issues I have and will not stop having but for every problem a solution is there, remember that the biped is an automated Ik/Fk rig very much more simple than a manually created rig.
    Start looking for advanced model rigs and go backwards from it. You will maybe laugh at the solution.
    Four years old this thread

Joined Train2game on 15th December 2009 and started the Art and Animation course on the 15th April 2010.