Thread: Diffuse Maps!!!!!!

Default Diffuse Maps!!!!!!

Been working on the Diffuse Maps for Assignments 19 and 20. When i created my diffuse maps for these two assignments, i just searched for images on CGTextures and chose the ones i like. For example i found a stone texture on this website and used it for the walls of my ocean floor scene without altering it in photoshop? Is this correct or is there more to it then that when creating Diffuse Maps?
    Attached Images Attached Images

You need to take the scale of the image and what you are putting it on into consideration. The Textures you probably have are only of an area a metre to 10 metres wide (if you are lucky), while the floor/wall areas of the model are much higher than this, so
    you need to look into tiling the textures to get a realistic scale.
    Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SiYt92RINo to see how you tile textures

Thanks Pal I really appreciate the help!!!!

So after i created the tileable texture, do i still need to adjust the tiling values in the material editor to repeat the map? What about if you create a texture from using a uvw template in photoshop, does the image still need to be tileable? Or do i just place the rock texture over the uwvs or do i use the clone stamp tool to colour in the appropriate UVW?
    Last edited by snake1983; 02-15-2015 at 11:19 PM.

Okay, brace yourself for this.......

There are a few ways to do this:
    1. tile the texture you have made (which looks pretty good BTW) directly on to the UVW map in Photoshop and create a diffuse map that way

OR

2. Create a mask using your UVW map in photoshop, so that the sand areas are white, the rock areas are black. In Max create a blend material and put the mask you have made into the alpha/mask channel. then in materials slot 1 put a material that uses your sand texture and in material slot 2 a material that uses a rock texture (create one if you havent already). You can then tile each material as required in the diffuse slot (and the spec reflect/slots, when you have spec/reflect maps) untill you get the result you want. If the sand and rock textures are showing on the wrong areas (flipped) you can either invert the black and white areas of your mask in photoshop, or switch the materials in the blend material slots. Once happy with the result you can then bake/render to texture.

i hope some of that made sense

Hey Pal i followed your 2nd example, hope this is what you meant. Thing is when i render it out,the uvws are being displayed with the sand texture,how do i get rid of them? If i follow your first example, do i just place the tileable rock texture over the rock uvs in the image?

Looks like you have it right in Max, but are getting it wrong in Photoshop. You have the right idea, but are being to clever for your own good
    In Photoshop, simply create 2 new layers ABOVE the UVW layer. on the top layer of the 2 new layers, paint in your white areas. then, on the bottom layer of the two new layers, fill with black. now save this image out as a jpeg. the image should be simply just black and white with no uvw wires. use this in the alpha channel in the blend material in max

Again, thank you so much for all your help!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wyldeone1978 View Post
    As long as it useful and makes sense. that im more than happy to help
    LOL any chance you could come and finish my course for me?