Thread: My Sea Monster! Portfolio 10 and 11-Help!

Default My Sea Monster! Portfolio 10 and 11-Help!

Hey guys this is my sea monster, what do you think? Portfolio 10 says we need to create a skeleton with biped and make it walk a few steps. Obviously i cant accomplish that now, how do i create the biped skeleton then?. Portfolio 11 says to use reaction manager to make sea creatures hand curl, cant do that as well! Would have been useful if they gave us the exact requirements when we had to design the sea creature from the start!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Safe to say you are up the creak with that one! First, message, or even call the tutors and explain to them the problem you have encountered.
    If possible, get them to view this thread, with your images, so they can see your model.
    Worst case, you will have to redo your model (and the appropriate assignments/portfolio work for the sketchs, model sheets etc) or they
    will advise you to just fit the biped as best you can, regardless of how distorted the mesh becomes once its made to walk.

I completely agree, the brief for the initial design should of said something about required limbs etc.
    I got lucky, as mine had arms and legs, some, like yourself, not so lucky.

3. Default

First of all mate your not up **** creek lol don't worry I had same problem with my turtle model, again as no direction was put forward to what to design!
    First with the biped skeleton just fit it as good as u can to model as I did in this video :- http://youtu.be/iEoU5YpVw2A

Secondly reaction manager - you don't need it to be a finger, think of your side fins or tail, going from point 1 to point 2 (high position to low position) its the same thing just not curling round

I got passes for both of these

Well ive tried for hours to get my skeleton to skin properly to my geometry so i can do the walk cycle, but for for some reason i just cant get it!!!!!!!!! I would really appreciate if you guys can give me some tips cause this is driving me insane!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have you tried increasing the geometry (more polygons) to reinforce the area around the area you want to walk, looks like there may be too much stretching of the polygons, just a thought.

Edit... Another thought, how have you skinned the model, using envelopes or adjusting the vertices manually? If you used envelopes you could switch to vertex mode and adjust the vertices causing you problems.
    Last edited by Mr Green; 04-07-2015 at 12:08 PM.
    Your future is defined by what you do today not tomorrow.

Check out more of my work here - http://www.greenanimation.uk/

Honestly, i dont think you can anymore than you have with. Its a great example of trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.
    I think the tutors are more interested in the fact you have the biped in your model, walking, as best you can, considering the situation, rather than it working/deforming perfectly

Ive use the physique modifier to skin my biped.Thanks guys for the help, think ive spend to many hours trying to get this right, guess this will have to do.

I am buzzing off the design

For the reaction manager issue... you could place the reaction manager on the little dangly bits at the end of wings. I always wonder if you use the reaction manager both way on same object... I tried it with no success.

Quote Originally Posted by snake1983 View Post
    Ive use the physique modifier to skin my biped.Thanks guys for the help, think ive spend to many hours trying to get this right, guess this will have to do.
    No offence to you or the effort you have put in but the point of the portfolio is
    A. To have your work stand out from others in modelling or animation
    B. Stick with the fatigue of repetition boring your ass of, it's better going over and over than asking for a little bit too much help rather than figuring out your eurika moment.
    C. They do not specify anything in creating the model nor biped movement or that defeats the object of it being from your mind as your portfolio work.

It's up to you the time, effort and repetition you put into creating a model and accuracy of its movement, i.e. the fish gliding monster animation I would very much like to look at myself, I had one design and had to redesign it going through loads of paper to do head, foot, hand and arm close-ups, all this contributes to the parts 10 - 13 (as in, does it look realistic/it it the best you can do).

I'm speaking from experience or I couldn't justify this post as thruthful.
    Assumming your doing Version 2 of the course, and the course being called Art and Animation, you need to really study and go back and animate a dynamic fish-like gliding creature, my final advise on your last post and I quote "think ive spend to many hours trying to get this right, guess this will have to do."
    Mate I'm telling you that is most definately the wrong attitude to have, yes you have asked for some help and got some good responses, but spending time to perfect a model or an animation in your portfolio will be something they will send back and say in return, "re-do this part of the portfolio" because as you have it in your mind when you wrote it "guess this will have to do".

Be sure to send me a video of the animation you put together ok bud.