Thread: TurboSmooth Weirdness

Default TurboSmooth Weirdness

Hi guys,

I'm having a bit of difficulty with the TurboSmooth modifier in 3ds Max. I've had this problem before and figured it out but I can't remember what I did, so am turning to you. The picture below is what happens before and after I bake the TurboSmooth modifier and am not sure why it does this. Any ideas?

Thank you.

TurboSmoothWeirdness.jpg
    "Add a dab of lavender to your milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Quote Originally Posted by wyldeone1978 View Post
    Can you upload a bigger version of the image, i cant see anything
    I agree, a bigger picture would be beneficial

Sorry, here it is with the TurboSmooth modifier, all nice and clean:

TurboSmoothWeirdness_01.jpg

And this is what happens when I convert it into an Editable Poly:

TurboSmoothWeirdness_02.jpg
    "Add a dab of lavender to your milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

I just made a quick box, played with the vertices to make it a bit less box-like, added a turbo smooth, put some swift loops down and then right-clicked to go down and select Convert to > Editable Poly and the same thing happened. (not sure if that helped explain things but that's pretty much what I did with the above shape, too)

Isoline Display? Yeah.

Although that has solved the 'crumpling' effect, it leaves me with lots of polygons, which Isoline would've taken care of. It's weird because whenever I do that with Digital Tutors, whatever it is I'm doing (e.g. a mech) comes away with beautifully clean polygons that are easy to manage. I collapse it with Isoline display with them, too.