Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What we do for a living ?

Default What we do for a living ?

So guys trying to find out the back round of games designers to see if theres a common theme,
    I'm current unemployed, looking for work but before that i was a sales consultant with around 15 years worth of sales and retail experience what about you lot ?
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you say it, you'll be a mile away... and you'll have their shoes.
    ∼anonymous

im currently 17 so a job is rare for me at best. but at the moment im working as a chef in an indain restaraunt , im at college aswell (a hectic life i know)

after 2 years studying games development at college, i somehow managed to get a part time job working at an accountants dealing with mostly secretarial work. My other job happens at weekends and im a football referee. Neither have any relevance to my career prospects as a games designer but both pay bills

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    Eric I think we already have a thread on this subject somewhere, however it is for students of all three courses. I wont close this one however
    Thanks matt guess i should have had a quick search first :0)
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you say it, you'll be a mile away... and you'll have their shoes.
    ∼anonymous

I've done high school with C's in English, Maths and Science (thats 5 C's in total). Went to college and did an Advanced Vocational course in ICT, but failed due to primarily not even passing the first year, but being put through for the second year anyway. When I was 18 I ran a bar for 3 years, started as a part time barman, but very quickly turned into full time and then took over from the previous assistant manager. Then ended up running the damn place. Moved to working at Astra-Zeneca in the kitchens. Got let go because it was only a temp job. Thenh went and worked at Threshers wine shop, run that place for a year and then now I am at Morrisons as a sales assistant.
    Currently playing

PS3 (JKRampage): Black Ops 2 - Diablo III - GTA V -

Currently pre-ordered

Xbox One - MineCraft Xbox One Edition, MGS V: Phantom Pain, Destiny, Fable Legends, Titanfall, The Evil Within, Dying Light

6. Default

I'm 24 and currently work in The Fudge Kitchen (please no fudge packer jokes I get plenty!) and a Bingo Caller too!

I'm 22, i've bounced from more jobs then alot of people have had proper relationships, i've done allsorts of work varying from Cold Calling (Oh noes), warehouse, retail, lane technician at a bowling alley, the "quaser" laser game, till boy, clothing repair shop, nightshift shelf stacking and finally ended up working in a pharmacy and have done so for awhile having passed the Healthcare course that you get there, think its equal to a measly NVQ level 1, however due to working in a not so busy pharmacy its hard to convince them to put me on the next course. feel free to ask me questions if your feeling Ill! lol

I'm 39, started life wanting to write games, skipped a prospective chance to work for a games company because I wasn't really ready to leave home then (company went bust 2 years later anyway) missed out on a cracking career as a computer teaching assistant (couldnt drive at the time) and ended up becoming a business software developer instead. Moved over to the graphic design side of things instead when I started writing and designing the manuals for the software I'd wrote and ended up following a career in that for the next 20 years before I discovered Train2Game which has got me back on the path to working in the games industry.

I'm currently 20. I've never had a job so far. Didn't do to well in high school, failed at collage. Played games all the time, Then wanted to make them so here I am.

After GSCE's and A-levels I went to the University of Hull and did a B.Eng (Hons) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Whilst there I worked for GAME, started as a Christmas temp but kicked ass so they kept me on till I quit. Had to love the staff discount. After that I moved to South Wales when Corus offered me a place on their Engineering Graduate Scheme. After a bumpy start and a few arguements here and there I ended up on the blast furnaces looking at control systems and automation. I recently got asked to help out on shifts as they had one guy retire and the replacement wasnt trained up so out of the goodness of my heart (nothing to do with the 30% shift allowance and loads of time off oh no no no) I said yes and thats where I am at the moment. Did a few other jobs a long the way but nothing to shout about. Although being a security gaurd for Hull's main shopping centre was kinda fun. Chasing chavs and pikeys out the building.

More recently I started writing down some of the stories and ideas that were floating around inside my head. Everytime I played up with ideas in my head I found I was creating new bits but loosing others so started jotting random ideas on a scribble pad. I always wanted to get into games development/design but for some reason always thought it was one of those impossible to get jobs. So when T2G came along I had to have a go.

I suppose the other part of my life that is pretty much full time work is my daughter who recently turned 1.